Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Our Easter break in Cornwall..

Wow, I haven't been on here in ages! Thats because over the Easter holidays we have been super busy having some much needed family time.

The second week of the Easter holidays we took a holiday of our own, down to Cornwall.

We decided to stay in a lovely 2 bedroomed cottage in a small village called Coombe. It was just a short drive from Mevagissey and only 20 minutes to Newquay. A very central location, I am so glad we chose it and we will definitly be going back!

As both children love the beach and we have got National Trust memberships we decided to spend most of our holiday making the most of those two things. Finding places to go and explore was easy, the hard part was choosing exactly which ones. Cornwall has got so many gorgeous beaches, and National Trust properties (and beaches for that matter), we could not possibly fit them all in a week!

But I think in the end we made some pretty good choices, I am going to do a separate post for National Trust properties as I think some of them deserve their own write up, one in particular, Lanhydrock, is now officially my most favourite National Trust Property!

Our first day was spent traveling and just exploring our cottage and local surroundings. We stopped on the way for breakfast at Route 303. It was an American diner type place and the only reason we stopped was the simple reason that the car park was packed! Our instincts were right and it was delicious, filling and great value for money!

On day 2 we spent the morning in Newquay, this originally came about because Chester was whinging on about wanting to buy some Tsum Tsums. These can only be brought in the Disney Store or Clinton Cards. Cornwall are not lucky enough to have a Disney Store, and only have 2 branches of Clinton Cards, so we headed to Newquay in search of Tsum Tsums!

After purchasing some of the new Disney craze we wandered down to the beach. Stopping for an ice cream on the way of course!

It was a lovely morning and I was cross for not being prepared and leaving the kids swimwear and towels at the cottage! Nether the less we still had a great morning and then spent the afternoon/evening at two National Trust Properties!

Day 3 we headed into Mevagissey. I had heard so many lovely things about this little fishing harbour, we really wanted to go and explore! We  were not disappointed either, spending the day wandering around the lovely boutique shops, eating fish and chips on the quay, visiting both the small aquarium and the local museum. Both of which were free, although donations were welcome, and after having a fab time in both we were very happy to donate!

On the Tuesday we decided to venture down to St Ives for the day. Rather than drive all the way, one of my friends had suggested that we catch the park and ride train from Lelant Saltings. What a great suggestion that was! The children really enjoyed the train ride and Craig and I loved the scenery! It dropped us off at St Ives train station and the walk into the main town/sea front was less than 5 minutes! St Ives turned out to be one of our favourite days. We spent the day wandering through the narrow lanes filled with shops, in the amusement arcades and building sandcastles on a lovely warm beach. Not to mention the lovely lunch we had in a restaurant with beautiful Sea views!

We have named the Wednesday as disaster day! It was my fault from start to finish! I had researched (although clearly not enough) a National Trust cliff top walk which lead down to a lovely cove/beach. Upon arriving, it because apparent that I had misunderstood the tide times and after a VERY windy cliff top walk, we came to realise that the tide was very much in!

So we headed back to the car and moved along to Watergate Bay. For some reason I had not really noticed the fact that the beach was covered mainly with surfers. I regret not paying much attention now. Chester, Millie and I were paddling happily in the sea, it was barely up to my ankles, when all of a sudden the strength of the current knocked Millie out of my hand and under the water. I tried to reach out to her, but the current was so strong and was pulling me back. All I could see was my baby (ok, 3 year old, but you get what I mean) rolling over and over again under the water. I somehow managed to stay calm, and kept reassuring her it would be ok. After what seemed like forever, but in reality was probably only about 30 seconds I managed to get to her and pull her out. Still remaining calm I was upbeat in my reassurance to her that everything was ok and the silly sea must of been playing tricks. The last thing I wanted to happen was a fear of water. Thankfully Millie is ok and so far she appears to still be confident in the water. I however, am still shaken by the whole thing!

I will say though, that the day finished well with a trip to the local pub for dinner!

We visited St Michael's Mount the next day, it was the longest drive of the week at 50 minutes, but it was totally worth it! A bright, sunny day, we were able to walk across the causeway to the castle, and then by the time we were ready to leave the tide was in so we could catch the boat back to shore. The children were fascinated that we were able to walk over to the island, yet now, just a few hours later it was totally surrounded by the sea!

On our last full day we decided to drive the 10 short minutes down the road to Charlestown. Famous for its Tall ships and appearances on TV and in films, it really was a picturesque location. We visited the Shipwreck and heritage museum, which to our surprise was free for children! We spent well over 2  hours in there, exploring and learning. Chester was very pleased that he learnt to spell his name out in Morse Code! We ended our day with a final trip to Mevagissey for another portion of their delicious fish and chips and an ice cream for the children (read that as an ice cream for Craig, and the children!)

We left fairly early on our last day, its a long old drive back to Kent, and we had a plan! We decided to drive in 2 hour sections. So our first stop was Route 303 for Breakfast, our second was at Mottisfont, a National Trust property in Hampshire, so that we could stretch our legs and break the drive up a bit, then it was just over another 2 hours until we reached home! This format seemed to work quite well, so I am glad we decided to do it.

We had an absolutely fantastic week in Cornwall, lots of memories made.  Its back to reality now though, washing to do, School and Nursery runs to make, and dinners to cook!! Did you go away this Easter? What did you get up to?! Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

No comments:

Post a Comment