It took 2 days in total. I baked two chocolate cakes the day before and then chilled them in the fridge overnight. The reason for this is so that when I put the buttercream icing on there would be no crumbs. I sliced the tops of the cakes to make them flat, but let's face it they are not perfectly flat, I must of been looking at an angle?! Then I put buttercream in the middle and then all round the outside.
I put this back into the fridge to chill whilst I was making the fondant icing. I say make, what I mean is get it out of the packet and use food colouring gel to make it green! Looking back I should've probably then put that in the fridge for half an hour to chill as I had handled it loads. Nether the less I still managed to get it on the cake fairly well!
I then made a start on the decorations. I put some more green food colouring gel into my left over green icing to make some leaves. I used black food colouring in the icing to create different shades of grey for rocks. I made some dinosaur eggs with plain white fondant, and used blue food colouring gel in the icing to make letters for Chester's name.
Next on the to do list was to cover the outside of the cake with chocolate fingers, to make a 'fence'.
I then started to assemble all of the decorations on the top. I made a nest for the eggs using cake crumb and butter icing.
I used Chester's toy dinosaurs to place on and around the cake, and to stamp footprints into the icing.
Then I used some bone candies (which I got in America last year) to shape he number 6, which I stuck to the large rock.