Last week Millie and I were lucky enough to be invited to a lovely day out hosted by Huggies Little Swimmers. The plan for the day was to meet at Imperial College London go for a swimming lesson with Water Babies and also Karen Pickering, Olympic Swimmer! If that wasn't exciting enough we would then be taken to the lovely Milestone Hotel for afternoon tea!
I met with Emma from Life according to Mrs Shilts on the tube and we walked through to the Imperial College together. I had met Emma on a previous day out so it was nice to see a familiar face!
We went through to get changed and were given a Huggies little swimmers Hygiene Mat and some Huggies little swimmers swim nappies. The Hygiene mat is a new product from Huggies and I was very impressed!
So, once we were changed we went through to the pool, where Millie kicked up a massive tantrum because she wanted to get into the pool right away! I was so embarrassed! Luckily we did not have to wait too long before we were invited into the pool by the water babies teacher. She taught us the best way to get into the pool with the babies, we were joined by Karen Pickering and then the babies were shown how to do lots of fun things in the water, including Millie's favourite, blowing bubbles! We sang some songs and pushed some balls around the water and all too soon it was time to get out!
Although Chester does swimming lessons once a week, Millie, sadly, rarely gets a chance to go swimming. After this session I have vowed to change that. She loved swimming and when Chester starts School in September I WILL make time to take Millie swimming once a week!
After we were all dried and dressed (with help from the hygiene mat) it was off to The Milestone Hotel for a lovely afternoon tea! WOW it really was a lovely afternoon tea and I loved the fact that the babies were also given their own separate afternoon tea. A lovely thought, it was nice for Millie to have something all to herself rather than have to share with me! Her little eyes just lit up when she saw the cakes! I was sat on a table with Emma and also Becky from The nearly London Blog and Rachel from The little Pip. It was lovely to have a good chat with other bloggers and great to see our children interacting!
We were also given the chance to have a chat with Karen Pickering, she was really lovely and showed a real interest in our Children. I asked her a few questions about Chester's swimming and she was more than happy to advise.
All in all it was a great day, Millie and I went home exhausted and for the first time in a long while I slept really well that night!
Huggies have put together some top tips for baby swimming:
1. It’s never too early – your baby doesn’t need to be immunised before swimming so get them to the pool as soon as you feel ready
2. Planning your swimming trip is essential for ensuring a stress-free session. Put your swimming costume on under your clothes before heading out so you can focus your attention on changing your little one at the pool
3. Always put a swim nappy on your little one before going into the pool. Huggies® Little Swimmers® are made from absorbent materials that won’t swell in the water, have unique leak guards to avoid little accidents escaping and easy open sides to make change time as hassle free as possible
4. Stay by your little one at all times – not only is it safe, but it also helps to form a close bond
5. Maintain eye contact with your little one; smile, relax and drop down to the same level – your baby will love seeing you splashing too!
6. You may want to have your partner or a friend with you when you first start swimming, just whilst you get used to handling a wet baby – or even better, join a baby swim school like Water Babies to help with both yours and your baby’s confidence in the water
7. One of the best ways to get into the pool is to lay your baby safely on the poolside, enter the water and then lift them in – your Water Babies swim teacher can teach you the best way to do this
8. Keep your little one safe and hygienic at the pool side and avoid any trips or falls with the durable non-slip Huggies® Little Swimmers® Hygiene Mat, available in fun frog or penguin designs!